Create a great vegan burger – a challenge that loads of people worldwide have already taken. I think a burger must be exactly tailored to your own preferences. You want your perfect burger, so I do not want to try to present a detailed burger to the last detail, but rather show you what I found to be really tasty for my loved ones and me but feel free to experiment and built yours up, with everything YOUR Burger heart desires. Instead of your usual fries, I went for a much healthier and carb-free finer supplement: butternut chips.
|Prep time||Cook time||Total Time|
|10 min||10 min||20 min|
For the Burger:
- 2 vegan brioche buns (cut in 3 slices)
- 4 thin Seitan/soya burger patties (either shop-bought or you try making them yourself, I’ll share my recipe soon as I am still perfecting it atm)
- 2 slices of vegan cheese or 4 tbsp of finely grated cheese
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- a handful fresh rocket
- 4 jalapeños
- 2 tbsp ketchup, mayonnaise, BBQ ketchup
- Vegan gravy (or a mix of 1 tbsp of soya sauce, nutritional yeast and margarine)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 sliced mushrooms, half a sliced aubergine, 1 mini courgette slices
For the Fries:
- 1 butternut squash or bagged pre-cut version (Sainsbury sell them) if you’re in a rush
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast & 3 tbsp of corn flour
Note: This recipe makes two burgers.
For the fries peel & cut the pumpkin in the shape desired and marinate with the yeast flakes and corn flour. Spread out on a baking tray and bake for 20mins while you prepare the burger.
Use a tiny bit of olive oil brown the mushroom, aubergine & courgette. Do the same with your seitan/ soya patties. Then put it all on a plate and begin staggering. You can make the gravy in the same pot by just melting the butter and adding the soya sauce and nutritional yeast and then soak your middle bun slice in it.
As burger sauce, I am reverting to a shop-bought ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard on this one since I did not feel like making everything from scratch today. Of course, you can also prepare your own burger sauce. This recipe is all about staggering, here it goes:
- Burger bun
- Mini Courgette slices and Aubergine
- Gravy-soacked bun slice
- Mayonaise and Jalapeños
- Rocket, Onions and Mushrooms
- A second Seitan patty
- Another slice of cheese aaaand last but not least
- BBQ sauce.
Don’t ask me how you should eat it, I leave that for yourself to figure out – haha – I’d definitely not recommend making this for a date – it is meeeeessy I tell you!