Create a great vegan burger – a challenge that loads of people worldwide have already taken. I think a burger must be exactly tailored to your own preferences. You want your perfect burger, so I do not want to try to present a detailed burger to the last detail, but rather show you what I found to be really tasty for my loved ones and me but feel free to experiment and built yours up, with everything YOUR Burger heart desires. Instead of your usual fries, I went for a much healthier and carb-free finer supplement: butternut chips.
|Prep time||Cook time||Total Time|
|10 min||10 min||20 min|
For the Burger:
- 4 mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 courgette (sliced)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- a handful fresh rocket
- 4 jalapeños
- 2 vegan brioche buns (cut in 3 slices)
- 4 thin Seitan/soya burger patties (either shop-bought or try making them from scratch, I’ll share my recipe soon as I am still perfecting it)
- vegan gravy (or a mix of 1 tbsp of soya sauce, nutritional yeast and margarine)
- 2 slices of vegan cheese or 4 tbsp of finely grated cheese
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the Fries:
- 1 butternut squash or bagged pre-cut version (Sainsbury sell them if you’re in a rush)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast & 3 tbsp of corn flour
- 1 tbsp of plant-based milk
- 1 pinch of salt
Note: This recipe makes two burgers.
- For the fries peel & cut the pumpkin in the shape desired and dip in milk and then marinate with the yeast flakes, salt and corn flour. Spread out on a baking tray and bake for 20mins while you prepare the burger
- Use a tiny bit of olive oil brown the mushroom & courgette. Do the same with your seitan/ soy patties
- You can make the gravy in the same pot by melting butter, adding the soya sauce and nutritional yeast
- Then soak your middle bun slice in the gravy
- As burger sauce, I am reverting to a shop-bought ketchup and mayonnaise on this one since I did not feel like making everything from scratch. Of course, you can also prepare your own burger sauce.
- The next step is all about staggering, here it goes:
- Burger bun
- Mini Courgette slices
- Gravy-soacked bun slice
- Mayonaise and Jalapeños
- Rocket, Onions and Mushrooms
- A second Seitan patty
- Another slice of cheese aaaand last but not least
- BBQ sauce.
Don’t ask me how you should eat it, I leave that for yourself to figure out – haha – I’d definitely not recommend making this for a date – it is meeeeessy I tell you!